Website Blue Heron School, at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center
Blue Heron School is a nature-based Montessori school.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining the Montessori classroom culture.
- Providing exemplary care and attention to the needs of the students.
- Prepares and maintains the classroom environment, observes behaviors, models grace, and courtesy, preserves and protects lessons, and assists in the development of independence.
- Engage students within the classroom by interacting and thinking about what is happening around them.
- Follow the direction of the lead teacher when performing classroom duties.
- Observe and record children’s behavior and activities using the classroom’s shared recordkeeping system to record children’s behavior and progress.
- Deepen understanding and implementation of Montessori philosophy, nature preschool education, and the Positive Discipline approach to helping children learn to manage their behavior.
- Assists individual students in performing activities initiated by the teachers.
- Inform the lead teacher of any classroom difficulties including discipline, health, equipment needs, repair, and maintenance.
- Assist in the preparation and/or production of instructional materials.
- Work with the teacher to develop classroom schedules, and modify materials.
- Implement behavior management strategies and plans as instructed by the Lead Teacher.
- Meet regularly with the lead teacher to discuss goals for the class and individual students.
- Share all information from parents with the Lead Teacher.
- Supports the students’ Individual Education Plan (IEP.)
- Carry out instructional programs as designed by the Lead Teacher.
- Provide personal care assistance as needed.
- Hear requests for help, observe learning difficulties of pupils, and report such matters.
- Duties will vary depending upon the nature of the student’s abilities.
- Function as a part of the School Team
- Communicate with parents in a way consistent with the classroom philosophy and teacher’s direction.
- Participate in the resolution of any classroom issues and plan activities and events.
- Participate in weekly and/or monthly staff meetings, school events, and parent conferences.
- Guide children to other areas of the Science Center with the teacher, naturalists, and volunteers
- Help with daily cleaning, organizing, and restocking after the school day
- Maintain the integrity of confidential information at all times.
- Be professional and positive in all dealings with students and parents.
- A high school diploma is required. HiSET certificate or a GED is also acceptable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, Childhood Special Education, or working towards a degree in a similar field is preferred but not required.
Blue Heron School is a Montessori program for preschool and kindergarten, which incorporates the nature preschool philosophy and includes significant time outdoors. It is a part of the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness NH (nhnature.org). The mission of the Science Center is to advance understanding of ecology by exploring New Hampshire’s natural world. Through spectacular live animal exhibits, natural science education programs, an informal public garden, and lake cruises, Squam Lakes Natural Science Center has brought people nearer to nature since 1966.
The Associate Teacher is an important staff member of the Blue Heron School (BHS), at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center (SLNSC). The BHS Associate Teacher supports the work of the Co-Directors and Lead Teachers in their interactions with children and parents. The Associate Teacher knows or is learning the Montessori educational philosophy, the nature preschool approach, the children, and the routines of the classroom. The Associate Teacher is prepared to lead the class in the absence of the lead teacher.