New Hampshire Background Record Checks for Licensed Child Care
Welcome to the Background Record Checks for Licensed Child Care Information and Resource Page. The State of New Hampshire Child Care Licensing Unit requires that anyone 17 years of age or older working in a licensed child care program submit a NH criminal history record conducted by the State Police Department. In addition, other individuals age 16 and over who are in contact with children, and all family child care home household members age 10 and over must submit to a child abuse and neglect background check conducted by NH DCYF.
All applications must be submitted through the NEW HAMPSHIRE CONNECTIONS INFORMATION SYSTEM (NHCIS) and will require an account in NHCIS.
To create a new account or access your existing account please go to the NHCIS Portal.
To assist you in submitting an initial application or renewal we have provided resources below review the videos, guide and tip
Resources for Background Check Process
- Video: Navigating the Background Check Process-A Step-by-Step Guide for Licensed Child Care
- Video: Director’s Guide: Supporting Staff in Completing the Background Check Process (under development)
- Video: How to create and access your NHCIS account (under development)
Printable Guides and Tip Sheets:
- NHCIS Licensing Basics Quick Guide
- Navigating the Background Check Process-A Step-by-Step Guide for Licensed Child Care (under development)
- The Background Check Process Tip sheet (under development)
- Out-of-State Background Checks Tip sheet (under development)
- How to Schedule a Background Check Fingerprint Appointment through the Safety CHRI portal (State Police)
- Schedule an appointment using the Department of Safety CHRI Applicant Portal
- Director’s Guide: Supporting Staff in Completing the Background Check Process (under development)
If you need additional assistance or clarification, please contact the appropriate resource team – do not submit duplicate help requests to both NHCIS and CCLU please –
For technical issues in the New Hampshire Connections Information System (NHCIS)
- Submit a Support Ticket Submission to request assistance with logging into the NH Connections Information System or technical issues around the Background Record Check. Please visit the NHCIS Login Page and submit a support ticket, by clicking on “SUPPORT”.
- Please put as much detailed information in the request as possible. Names, program, DOB, dates, issue, etc. anything that is applicable.
- Tool tips available on each screen in the system
For specific background assistance or information:
- Child Care Licensing Unit (CCLU)
- Email support: [email protected]
- DHHS website: https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/programs-services/childcare-parenting-childbirth/child-care-licensing/background-checks-child-care